Everyone who applied for the 2017 intake of the Introduction to Playwriting Group will be given the outcome of their application by the end of June 2017.
The intention of the introductory group is to primarily provide demystified access to the basics of theatre-making. Participants are encouraged to think about theatre in its three-dimensional reality, guided by the particular passions of the writer leading the group. Writers who have not already written extensively for live performance can apply to be part of this group as we assign places based on potential. Application is through a short extract of written work.
Applications for the Introduction to Playwriting groups are currently closed. The details below are for information only. Applications for the next Introduction to Playwriting groups are currently scheduled to open in spring 2018. For more information, please follow our social media feeds or check in on this webpage again closer to that time.
In the meantime, we accept open unsolicited submissions of full scripts; details of how to submit your play to us and the kind of work we’re currently looking for can be found here.
The groups are a friendly and supportive environment where playwrights at an early stage of their career can explore the possibilities of writing for live performance. The groups are facilitated by a playwright we are currently working with and excited by. At the end of the group, group members get to submit a play they have worked on the course of the group and receive detailed feedback on it. It’s perfect if you’ve got an interest in writing for the stage but little experience – none at all is necessary. All you need to have is an interest in writing and the thirst to write a play.
From these applications, we will run three groups – one starting mid-July, one starting at the end of September, and another starting at the end of November. Each group runs for eight weeks with each session lasting 2 hours and generally starting at either 6.30pm or 7pm, depending on the availability of the lead playwright. They generally take place on a Monday or Tuesday evening (again, this is not yet confirmed) and take place here at the Royal Court Theatre in Sloane Square. There is no fee to take part and no age limit.
Some important points to note:
- Your extract can be of any genre and feature any number of characters, but must be intended for the stage and not for film, television or radio. It should not be an adaptation of a story from another medium.
- If you are sending your application electronically, please include your name somewhere in the document’s file names, i.e. firstnamesurnamesubmission.doc or firstnamesurnameapplication.pdf.
- Please send your documents in .doc, .docx, .rtf or .pdf format.
- Do not include any other materials (photographs, CVs etc).
- You can send us an application if you’ve applied before, but please do not apply for this group if you have taken part in an introductory group at the Royal Court since 2005.
- We will not be able to send you feedback on your submission and because of the volume we receive, we can’t take late applications (so send it in early!)
- If you have already representation (i.e. an agent for your writing work), this is probably not the group for you. Information about how to submit a play to us is here
- You will receive an acknowledgement whether you send your script by email or post.